A few weeks ago while I sat in New Orleans I began to think about Urban Meyer and his coaching situation. Now, if I ever became a head coach at the college level (and many things are going to prevent that from ever happening, with lack of experience being the least of the reasons) but I could see myself burning out the way he did.
I have one speed, as I like to tell people who have never met me before: fast. Everything I do I do with speed and precision. There are times when I want to take things slowly, but rarely do I have that opportunity. When I have a task ahead of me, I get it done and get it done quickly and efficiently. There’s just no other way for me.
I also coach with passion and enthusiasm, just ask a guy who’s been beside me while coaching girls basketball, my younger brother Tony. One day after a close loss we fought (verbally, and at our house) over whether or not some of the things I suggested to the head coach were good ideas.
I, like Al Davis, just want to win, plain and simple. There is no other option.
However, this basketball season I’m thinking we (my brother and I) need to set more realistic goals. It’s obvious we aren’t going to win every game. In fact, we’ve never been close to winning every game, but it should be a goal of ours to see the kids we coach develop and become better players so that maybe next year we can raise the bar an try to go undefeated.
I have one speed, as I like to tell people who have never met me before: fast. Everything I do I do with speed and precision. There are times when I want to take things slowly, but rarely do I have that opportunity. When I have a task ahead of me, I get it done and get it done quickly and efficiently. There’s just no other way for me.
I also coach with passion and enthusiasm, just ask a guy who’s been beside me while coaching girls basketball, my younger brother Tony. One day after a close loss we fought (verbally, and at our house) over whether or not some of the things I suggested to the head coach were good ideas.
I, like Al Davis, just want to win, plain and simple. There is no other option.
However, this basketball season I’m thinking we (my brother and I) need to set more realistic goals. It’s obvious we aren’t going to win every game. In fact, we’ve never been close to winning every game, but it should be a goal of ours to see the kids we coach develop and become better players so that maybe next year we can raise the bar an try to go undefeated.
Should we coach in shirts and ties this season? I'm considering it
People who know me well will tell you that no matter what happens in about a month, when the girls we coach start to practice, I’m just happy to be back doing a service to the parish that provided me some of the passion for sports I currently have.
I just hope I don’t have to go to the hospital like Meyer did.
More on basketball when it gets started up though, it should be a good time and yet another learning experience.
No comments:
Post a Comment