Friday, April 16, 2010

Mark Martin on Kasey Kahne, his "No. 1 pick"

All the NASCAR hubbub this week has been on Kasey Kahne’s impending move to Hendrick Motorsports in 2012. Kahne and HMS announced on Wednesday that starting in 2012 Kahne would drive the No. 5 currently piloted by veteran Mark Martin. Martin is under contract with HMS until 2011 to drive the No. 5 car.

He stepped away from Roush Racing in 2006, taking a part-time gig at Ginn Racing (which later folded into Dale Earnhardt Inc.) driving the No. 01 U.S. Army Chevrolet. In what has become a legendary moment, Martin nearly won the Daytona 500. He took over the No. 8 U.S. Army Chevy when Dale Earnhardt Jr. moved over to Hendrick in 2008.

In July of ’08 Martin sat next to Rick Hendrick in Daytona and announced he would take over the reins of the No. 5 car in 2009.

Now, what is the 51-year-old planning to do? On Friday afternoon he talked about his future.

“It was a little bit of a stretch to do one full-time season (when I joined Hendrick),” Martin told reporters. “I gave them three. It’s been the gift of my career that Hendrick Motorsports has given me. One of my biggest concerns has been who was going to be the successor so that I didn’t knock (Hendrick) out of getting the very best, A-number-one fit.”
Mark Martin talks to the media today in Texas (Photo: Twitpic.com, Jeff Gluck)

In true Mark Martin fashion, he found the successor to his ride at HMS. Years back he said a 15-year-old Joey Logano could take over the No. 6 car when he decided to leave Roush Racing. Now he says Kasey Kahne is ready to inherit the No. 5 car at Hendrick.

“He’s the total package,” Martin said. “If you want to know the truth, I can’t believe Rick Hendrick scored this deal, it is so perfect.” Martin wanted to find a driver who was better than himself, and he feels Kasey Kahne is that man.

One would wonder who, besides Jimmie Johnson, was better than Mark Martin last season. Martin approached his friends Jeff Burton and Matt Kenseth about the ride too, but they, according to Martin, “both just laughed and joked around.”
Martin tried to persuade Matt Kenseth to take over the No. 5 ride in 2012 (Getty Images)

In 2011 Martin will be the wheel man of the No. 5 Chevy, any reports to the contrary are wrong. “I’m not sure why you don’t understand. It’s not clear to me why you don’t understand,” he said. But where will he end up in 2012?
Mark Martin discussed Tony Stewart's role as a driver/owner last year at Indianapolis

Last year at Indianapolis Motor Speedway a reporter asked Martin if more drivers would consider doing what Tony Stewart is doing—being a driver/owner in the Sprint Cup Series. He said, “I see additional opportunities there or going forward but not every driver can do what Tony Stewart has done. Many of the drivers who are capable of doing what Tony has done are set for the remainder of their career.”
Tony Stewart has won four races as a driver/owner

But, is he interested in being a driver/owner?

“I have absolutely no idea,” he said. “I’m going to do whatever I want to. And I’m not even going to know what I want to do for awhile. … I’ll explore driving and other things as well. I love the sport, I want to be in sport a long time, drive for a long time.

“For me to consider going away from NASCAR and crawling under a rock for the rest of my life, that’s no longer in the equation. I love what I do and I love the sport. It’s part of everything I’m made of.”

As a fan of the man, there’s nothing better to hear than that. Stay tuned for more news and info as the weekend progresses. Practice is under way and qualifying will take place later this afternoon in Texas. Have a great Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts