Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Coach Joe Gibbs: “Hats off to Kentucky's fans”


Joe Gibbs, owner of Joe Gibbs Racing, and former NFL coach, knows a thing or two about crowds. He’s been a NASCAR owner since 1992, and won three Super Bowls as the head coach of the Washington Redskins.
Coach Joe Gibbs sits atop the pit box of Joey Logano on Saturday night at Kentucky
And he complimented the fans of Kentucky Speedway on Saturday after one of his drivers, Kyle Busch, won the inaugural Quaker State 400 at the newest Sprint Cup facility.

“One thing I really want to emphasize is this: this crowd, I was out there coming back in from hospitality, honestly, they were 30 abreast trying to walk up to get in the stadium,” Gibbs said. “They were coming over the top of the hills.

“This is fun to be at a place like this. It was exciting. Everything was packed. I went out and signed a few autographs out at a video truck we had. The people were just great.”

The people that made it into the gates that is.

“Hats off to this area, the racing, people in this area, everybody that was here, everybody that couldn't get here,” Gibbs said, noting those who got stuck on the highways leading into the track and never saw the race. “We appreciate being here. I think it's a huge deal. I appreciate NASCAR and everybody, Bruton, everybody that helped us get to this part of the country to race.”
Busch (middle) talks with Gibbs (right) post race
“This one ranks right up there with the best of them,” said Busch. “I haven't won any of the big races, unfortunately, yet. But, you know, it ranks right up there with Las Vegas being another of my prestigious wins that I feel like I've accomplished so far.”

Gibbs said seeing his car in Victory Lane was special.

“I remember the very first time we came here and raced the Nationwide. I think it's an exciting area. I look at all of America as kind of our playground. I think this place is special and different,” he said.

The team owner has had a lot of success at the track in Sparta. From the time Joey Logano has jumped into the No. 20 car in the Nationwide Series, he’s had success at the track. Even though the youngster didn’t win this weekend, he put his own stamp on the second-tier race at the track.

Coach Gibbs is already looking forward to coming back to Kentucky next season.

“I look at all the other parts of the country,” he said. “It's unique getting a chance to go there, display our sport, getting a chance to be a part of that culture and that community.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts