Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Quaker State 400 Coverage: Stewart says Logano “fun to watch” at Kentucky


I’ve made no secret about it: Joey Logano is the favorite to win the Quaker State 400 at Kentucky. Logano, the 21-year-old kid from Middletown, Conn., has owned the past three Nationwide Series races, winning three straight poles and three straight Meijer 300s.

Earlier today I had a chance to ask Tony Stewart his thoughts on the kid who took over for “Smoke” driving the No. 20 for Joe Gibbs Racing.
Stewart walks out of the media center at Indy in 2009

“It’s definitely been fun to watch because Joey (Logano) was somebody that I was really high on and taking my 20 car when we made our decision to switch organizations,” Stewart said.

When Stewart left JGR to become part-owner and driver of his own team, Stewart-Haas Racing, Logano stepped into the highest pressure job in NASCAR, in my opinion. Logano was designated by Mark Martin as good enough at age 15 to take over in the No. 6 when Martin departed Roush Racing full-time in 2006. He was given the nickname “Sliced Bread,” because he was the best thing since.

And at Kentucky, “Sliced Bread” has been nothing but perfect. So perfect that he’s never lost in four tries at Kentucky. “I’m undefeated here. I actually won a legends race here when I was 12. I think I was 12 years old and I won that too, so I’m batting 1000 here,” said Logano during the June 1st Goodyear tire test at Kentucky.

“It’s been fun to watch him there. He’s obviously found something in that track that he likes and it matches his driving style,” said Stewart today.
Logano at Kentucky on June 1st

“It’s one of those things that if you like the racetrack and it suits your driving style, and let’s face it, those Gibbs Nationwide cars won everything in sight, so that doesn’t hurt you on your chances but [Kentucky] just suits his driving style,” said Greg Biffle at the Goodyear test.

Logano has leaned on veterans a lot as he’s made his name in the sport. But this may be the first time drivers like Stewart could take some pointers from Logano instead of the other way around.

“I think he’s somebody that when we go back there next weekend, we’ll definitely be watching for and I’m sure if we get a chance in practice to follow him, we’re going to be trying to figure out what he’s learned that’s made him so successful there,” Stewart said.

“It’s fun. I know it’s going to be a lot of fun for him because he knows that track inside and out and it’s going to be one of those few places that he is going to get a chance to go to where he actually knows more about it than the veterans do.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts