Mark Martin’s 2009 Sprint Cup Season could be described as a record of numerous songs throughout the year. After Indy I noted his song should be “So Close, Yet So Far,” by Hoobastank. After this weekend, I think Daughtry’s song, “It’s Not Over” describes the Chase heading into the final two races.
Daughtry sings, “Let's start over. I'll try to do it right this time around. It's not over.” Didn’t Yogi Berra say the same thing years ago?
Jimmie Johnson’s wreck on lap three at Texas brought Martin right back into the points hunt. Before the green flag dropped Johnson was up 184 points. Now, the deficit is 73 for Martin. “I don’t know why everybody tries to cap this thing out and doesn’t just wait and watch,” he said. “There are still two races to go and still things that can happen.”
Couldn’t have said it better myself.
"There could still be swings in the points,” Martin added. “There's two races left, you never know what's going to happen. I'm really blessed to get to drive [Hendrick's] stuff and be in this position. No matter what the outcome is we've raced our guts out and I'm so proud of this team."
Back in late July, with Martin barely hanging on to a spot in NASCAR’s Chase, he offered a piece of advice after finishing second to Johnson in Indianapolis. “You can't win if you wreck.” And Martin may have not won the race on Sunday, but the main goal of a title for his team is still out there.
“I’ll feel devastated for my team, but for me, I’m living well beyond my means right now. I feel like my race team deserved to be a part of that elite group but if we come up short it won’t be from lack of effort,” he said before the Brickyard 400, speaking of making the Chase.
His pep talks are still the same, even with two races left in the season. He said on Sunday, “We can go head-to-head with [Johnson and the #48 team]. No doubt about it. In Phoenix we led the most laps and won the last time there and we have no reason to think we can't run strong at Homestead.”
And what seemed like an impossibility before the past weekend began, now looks a little bit more like a chance. “When it comes right down to performance you know you can't beat those guys—Jimmie Johnson and those guys [but] it's not over yet,” Martin said.
Yogi Berra and Daughtry agree, even if that fat lady on ESPN’s stage disagrees.
Daughtry sings, “Let's start over. I'll try to do it right this time around. It's not over.” Didn’t Yogi Berra say the same thing years ago?
Jimmie Johnson’s wreck on lap three at Texas brought Martin right back into the points hunt. Before the green flag dropped Johnson was up 184 points. Now, the deficit is 73 for Martin. “I don’t know why everybody tries to cap this thing out and doesn’t just wait and watch,” he said. “There are still two races to go and still things that can happen.”
Couldn’t have said it better myself.
"There could still be swings in the points,” Martin added. “There's two races left, you never know what's going to happen. I'm really blessed to get to drive [Hendrick's] stuff and be in this position. No matter what the outcome is we've raced our guts out and I'm so proud of this team."
Back in late July, with Martin barely hanging on to a spot in NASCAR’s Chase, he offered a piece of advice after finishing second to Johnson in Indianapolis. “You can't win if you wreck.” And Martin may have not won the race on Sunday, but the main goal of a title for his team is still out there.
“I’ll feel devastated for my team, but for me, I’m living well beyond my means right now. I feel like my race team deserved to be a part of that elite group but if we come up short it won’t be from lack of effort,” he said before the Brickyard 400, speaking of making the Chase.
His pep talks are still the same, even with two races left in the season. He said on Sunday, “We can go head-to-head with [Johnson and the #48 team]. No doubt about it. In Phoenix we led the most laps and won the last time there and we have no reason to think we can't run strong at Homestead.”
And what seemed like an impossibility before the past weekend began, now looks a little bit more like a chance. “When it comes right down to performance you know you can't beat those guys—Jimmie Johnson and those guys [but] it's not over yet,” Martin said.Yogi Berra and Daughtry agree, even if that fat lady on ESPN’s stage disagrees.
No comments:
Post a Comment